CairnTalk

Sensitive Belly

mbkwsl

Account Deleted

Well either way he’s on medication so at least he’s on his way and I am proactive. And he doesn’t have diarrhea he just goes once a day.

Dickens now waits for the vet to call.  He had a massive bowel movement and then tossed his dinner.  He's on boiled hamburger and rice for now.  The vet tech said no more dog food (I had added a little on top of Rosie's).

They said to give him a bit of hamburger  and rice tonight with his pepcid.  He's drinking.  He's peeing.

Two out of three, but I need the trifecta: eating and keeping it down.

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Account Deleted

I know I was so worried that he had Gardia,  he is on medication now so I think he’ll be fine.   I hope Dickens will be , Let me know!

Otis's Mom, 

I hope Otis recovers quickly.

Dickens ate his hamburger and rice with enthusiasm (snuck that Pepcid in with it!)

After all this, I hope WE recover quickly.

My guy sits next to me with dreams of what to get into next.  He started talking to me as the hamburger cooked. Never did that before tonight and he's very affectionate.

Got to cook some more hamburger...

Peace

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Account Deleted

I know he has been on chicken and rice since sunday.  I am so sick of the orange semi soft serve🍦 he only goes once a day and he doesn’t strain, so I’m hoping it’s just something he ate. peace also!

Account Deleted

Hi everyone,

So his test came back negative for ova and parisites, On the bottom of it it said that he had a fecal float and I believe an antigen test.  It said that in addition to fecal and antigen, If he has chronic diarrhea they should do a test for viral or bacterial. So I am assuming that he had both even though the top part said fecal float.

I’m not sure I want to start him on his regular food maybe when he is done with his food? I emailed the vet and ask them.

Let me know how Dickens made out. 

Edited by Account Deleted

Hi, here's  the  latest  Dickens report: Inflamed large intestine.  Bland diet x 5 days. Then begin Rosie's if all goes well.  He heartily embraced the diet saying Dickens requires a very gentle meal plan and the nutrition was sound. We just need to enter ingredients slowly to ensure he can handle it.

Prayers rising for a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Account Deleted

Well that’s good pray that everything goes well. He did not poop all day today but I think on the flagyl he wouldn’t. Sometimes I just don’t trust the fecal test but if he doesn’t get any better by the time he’s off the meds that I have to bring him back🙏Then at square one again.. Today’s the first day he was playing and acting totally normal so I’m hoping he really doesn’t have any intestinal issues. Maybe it’ll take time for his system to get back to normal he didn’t say anything about changing his dog food.  How did they diagnose Dickens? 

Account Deleted

It is hard,  every time I take him out to go the bathroom I cross my fingers and say a prayer how sad is that? Keep me updated, and I will keep you updated. He hasn’t pooped since he had diarrhea yesterday he’s been on the medicine sibce yesterday. I did buy him probiotics powder so hopefully that will help.

Guest dog person

It's not unusual when a dog has had loose stools for a few days, to not have a bowl movement for a couple of days, I wouldn't start to worry till day 3, unless he's exhibiting other symptoms you are concerned about. 

The body is trying to regroup.

Did the vet tell you to add probiotics?   If not, I wouldn't.    Keep it bland and simple and  make sure he's drinking water.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

Thanks❤️ I am going to wait to give tit to him until I talk to the vet. All he  eating now is rice and chicken and a little bit of yogurt mixed in.. The probiotics I bought was called tummy works a powder. If he doesn’t think I should use it then I will send it back. I got it on Amazon.

Otis's Mom,

My vet advised to stay with boiled hamburger and rice for 5 days. He said not to add anything at all as he can't properly diagnose if I added stuff. The inflammation being caused by something too rich going through his system.

We had a stool this morning with the right color & texture. He played with his toy this morning! I did what any Cairn Mom would do after this ordeal, I gave him a big hug!

We've got a ways to go, but now I have hope.

Peace,

• Like 1

Account Deleted

I am so happy for the both of you! I took Otis for a walk today he didn’t poop so it’s the second day. But he is on medicine. The only thing he’s eaten is boiled chicken and rice with some plain white yogurt which never bothers him, He is drinking and playing with his toys I just want him to poop LOL so I can see if his poop is normal, must be if he hasn’t pooped yet. I’m jealous LOL This is been going on often on since last Thursday. He seems his old self today which is good. I’m always afraid when he stops the medicine that he’ll go back to the soft orange😰 he is been on chicken and rice since Sunday medicine since Thursday.

Guest dog person
7 hours ago, dog person said:

It's not unusual when a dog has had loose stools for a few days, to not have a bowl movement for a couple of days, I wouldn't start to worry till day 3, unless he's exhibiting other symptoms you are concerned about. 

Oops!   I meant to say bowel movement.    Maybe serve less rice and give a little more chicken, instead?    

Proceed with caution.  Add nothing (that includes supplements) till things are back to normal  :-/  or as your vet advises, usually just 3 days on the rice and chicken do the trick.

Most supplements are unnecessary...….assuming the dog is eating a dog food that meets aafco requirements, at least as a base.

PS: Yogurt is a dairy product.   You may want to skip it for now and see if it makes a difference?    It's your call.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

He’s always had yogurt that’s what I put in his Kong when I go out and never had a problem with it. I wanted to offset the meds and the vet said more rice than chicken  so I don’t know. I have to give him his pill and I usually sneak it in his food. He’s been on chicken and rice for six days. He finally got on the meds Wed  because there was no improvement. He didn’t have bouts of diarrhea he just had very loose stools once a day.  I figured that once he calls he’ll go. Hopefully tonight sometime or if not tomorrow morning if he doesn’t go by Monday morning I’m calling the vet again.

Guest dog person

Yes, by all means, go by what your vet advises.    I will bet you that he has a normal bm within the next 24 hours    :-)

Account Deleted

You’ll be the first to know LOL I am going to give him his pill in a little bit of peanut butter because he’s getting too smart he knows it’s in his food now

• Like 1

Account Deleted

Otis has been on this chicken and rice diet for seven days which I think is way too long. He has not pooped since he had his last stool on Thurs.  and he has no desire to. He’s also on the anti-diarrheal medicine which will end on Wednesday. I talked to a vet tech today at church,  And she said the most they tell them to stay on rice and chicken diet is five days that’s an extreme cases. She told me to add a quarter of a cup of kibble to the rice and chicken.  I did that to his second meal today as he had already eaten this morning . I don’t want to add a half a cup tomorrow cause I think that’s too soon so I’m gonna go with the quarter and increase it on Tuesday and I am going to email my vet. I’m just so frustrated about the whole thing my vet is old and old school, and I’m thinking of changing him at this doesn’t get resolved. Any thoughts would be well appreciated!

Otis's Mom,

First of all, I'm sorry you are both going through this ordeal.  Dickens tossed his cookies this morning, so  you know who we'll be seeing this week.

A question:  how much are you feeding him?  1/4 cup?  1/2 cup?  Meals are twice daily? I don't really have any advice, except to say check with your vet, but you knew that already.  Hoping "the eagle lands tomorrow," meaning I hope he has a bowel movement.

We have to hang in there.  Our furkids need us. Having said that, if I drank, tonight would be the night. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Otis's Mom said:

my vet is old and old school, and I’m thinking of changing him at this doesn’t get resolved. Any thoughts would be well appreciated!

Getting a second opinion might be appropriate under these circumstances. Unfortunately there might be a wait-time before a new vet can see you. In the meantime, I’m hoping things improve!

• Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Account Deleted

He gets one cup total a day broken up in 2 meals. I am going to email the vet tomorrow and ask if I can add food and also tell him he hadn't pooped. It is so strange because he is normal in every other way. I am so sorry about Dickens😰we do worry about our babies, let me know. My friend at church gave him two toys yesterday and he went crazy playing with them. So look at the pic, dies he look sick to you, lol.I am going to hold off on another vet until I get this straightened out with this one. And if I still drank it would have been also!

327A2470-2E57-4F8C-AB7D-331166D8B015.jpeg

I hope the vet gives you good news. 

I'm waiting for the vet's office to open.  Dickens sounded the alarm at 4 am!  Pooped, then vomited, then began to munch on grass. He stopped drinking last night. 

Ugh!

Edited by JCDickens
Edited to add

Account Deleted

Did Dickens poop normal? I am sorry he is not drinking and vomiting. Otis seems to have no desire to go at all😡lol I am taking him out in about an hour and if he doesn’t poop I’m sending that email to the vet asking if I can add food to his diet because obviously he is not getting enough fiber to go the bathroom.  Let me know how you make out with Dickens.🙏

Otis's Mom, 

Just got back from the vet who ruled out an obstruction, his blood levels were good, he was borderline dehydrated, though.

The vet said sometimes this happens after something not-to-good something passes through a dog's system and that the dog has nothing to eliminate or it hurts to eliminate.  He's now on an anti-diarrheal, an anti-nausea med, a pain reliever, and a probiotic to rebalance his system.  They gave him a bag of fluids to bring his hydration back up to par.

And, of course, in typical Dickens fashion, he spit out the pills.  He can't tolerate dairy, so I had to trudge back to the vet for a can of digestive diet (dogs love it!) and bury the pills in two tiny canine meatballs.  He ate both meatballs.

The pain reliever also acts like a sedative so he'll snooze during this heat wave.

He still doesn't want to drink, but I bought slow sodium beef broth to spike his water bowl and his dog food.

How did you make out with the vet?  How's Otis?