CairnTalk

Sensitive Belly

mbkwsl

Account Deleted

I hope so. I thought that because the orange came out first not last, Does that make sense? Anyways thanks for all your support!

Guest dog person

Are you talking about the pumpkin?   That's not unusual, I give my dogs a carrot now and then and it shows up in their feces as orange chunks.

Nothing to be alarmed about.   Dogs don't digest some veggies or fruits.   It doesn't hurt them.   From what I understand.

Dog person I am curious as to why you think Pepcid is a Calcium supplement?  Pepcid is a histamine blocker preventing stomach and intestinal ulcers.  I think there are two posters Dickens and Otis...one has an upset tummy the other is feeding a home cooked diet...hence the question about calcium not upset tummies.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Guest dog person

I never said Pepcid was a calcium supplement.

I am going to step out now.    We are going off topic.  

Plus, It's feeding time at the ranch   :-)  

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

Yes, I think I gave him way too much pumpkin Saturday night, Vet seems to think it’s a pumpkin because he’s acting normal. And if it’s the bile at least it’s coming out first not last, I’m just worried about him a little because he’s never been like this this long it’s been a week off and on, like I said I think I believe the pumpkin did more harm than good.

32 minutes ago, JCDickens said:

Hello, the purpose of coming back to this board wasn't to discuss the merits of one diet over another.  Everyone has a right to their opinion; however, the purpose of my return was to see what other Cairn folks had experienced with their sensitive-bellied kids.  I might not need the calcium citrate as he's on pepcid and supplemented with a lamb-based commercial food, for now. We're taking it day by day.  If he's not better by tomorrow, we're heading back to the vet.

JC Dickens... more confusion. If you are cooking Rosie’s home made diet , yes you need to supplement with calcium, however if you are feeding a commercial kibble as in your recent post, no extra calcium should be added as the kibble would have enough in it already.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

4 minutes ago, dog person said:

I never said Pepcid was a calcium supplement.

Again the confusion lies in that there are two dogs with two different questions. 

Yikes!  So, I'm doing a modified Rosie's with a little bit of Canidae lamb until I can  pick up the  calcium citrate.   He's protected by a little kibble.  He went straight for the grass when I got  home, but he pooped and ate heartily.

Sorry I caused confusion, I'm worried about him and knew quite well that  Pepcid wasn't calcium.  I just  wasn't thinking.  

I'll see what tomorrow brings.  No improvement, back to the vet.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Here in Canada we just buy it at a drug store. 

You might be interested in this site. We had it done for Rosie and found out the turkey we were feeding was an intolerance  trigger for her plus a few other items. We changed to beef and bison and she never looked back.http://www.nutriscan.org/

And of course there will always be people that won’t  look outside the box. Hence the down arrow, but that’s ok, You just have to do what is right for you and your animals, what ever path you decide to take. Dr Jean Dodds is known for her research world wide. Here is her Bio if anyone is interested in reading.http://www.hemopet.org/education/jean-dodds-veterinarian.html

Edited by Terrier lover

Thanks, Terrier lover.  After a consultation with a pharmacist, then a health store, and finally a vitamin shop, I found plain ole calcium citrate.  It's 300 mg, but I can cut it in half, crush it and give him half in the morning and half in the evening. Voila, 150mg!

Has Rosie had good  dental reports or any issues on this diet? I'm nervous to try, but I can't watch him vomit bile?

Thanks again.

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Rosie is 6 this year, has all her teeth, shiny and white . I have her teeth scaled once a year to rid her of any plaque , plus I do try to brush them as often as possible. Don’t be scared. Give it a couple of weeks and if it doesn’t work perhaps slowly change the protein and see how he does. Of course I would also make sure his blood work is up to par.  Rosie has done great on her home cooked food. Don’t forget to add a good mineral/vitamin supplement . We use this supplement which we purchase from our vet clinic. It’s an American brand so you should have no problems getting in your country. I give our dogs who weigh about 19 pounds each about 1/2 to 3/4 of a scoop.

CCC17731-55C7-4B1C-AFDB-A96F34345593.jpeg

Once again, thank you Terrier lover, 

Amazingly, I found the Vetri multivitamins noted in the recipe and have added them to his morning Rosie meal.

I've noticed he's not pooping as he would on the Purina Beyond.  I got a notice that they had "improved" their formula and that's when things went bad.  Perhaps he's absorbing the food rather than turning it into waste.

He's laying down beside me now, all cuddly and sweet and he's been kinds "clingy". He wants his nightly treat, but I'm waiting until just before we go to bed (I gave to him early about a week ago and wound up wearing it when he threw up on my leg at 3 am).

Vet called to say  his stools are fine and that we'd get to the bottom of this.  I told him "Not soon enough!" Tomorrow I'll decide on the blood work.

Can't thank you enough.

• Like 1

Guest dog person
17 hours ago, Otis's Mom said:

Yes, I think I gave him way too much pumpkin Saturday night, Vet seems to think it’s a pumpkin because he’s acting normal. And if it’s the bile at least it’s coming out first not last, I’m just worried about him a little because he’s never been like this this long it’s been a week off and on, like I said I think I believe the pumpkin did more harm than good.

I agree, I have never fed any dog pumpkin.     And, I have read that it can cause diarrhea in some dogs.    

Honestly, they are all different.   I have one dog that loves veggies and fruit, the cairn.     My poodle mix likes a bit of raw carrot but won't touch other veggies or fruits.   In fact,  if I give her too big of a piece of carrot, she vomits   :-/

Sometimes less is more.   Keep it simple.

Guest dog person
14 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

Here in Canada we just buy it at a drug store. 

You might be interested in this site. We had it done for Rosie and found out the turkey we were feeding was an intolerance  trigger for her plus a few other items. We changed to beef and bison and she never looked back.http://www.nutriscan.org/

And of course there will always be people that won’t  look outside the box. Hence the down arrow, but that’s ok, You just have to do what is right for you and your animals, what ever path you decide to take. Dr Jean Dodds is known for her research world wide. Here is her Bio if anyone is interested in reading.http://www.hemopet.org/education/jean-dodds-veterinarian.html

If you think the down arrow was rude, I apologize and I will remove it.   Instead I will voice my opinion.  I think nutriscan is unreliable.  

I base my opinion on science based evidence and reviews such as http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=jean+dodds

And, also my own experience with a dog with environmental allergies that has been stable for several years.

The only thing that helped was treatment by a board certified veterinary dermatologist.

Allergies don't go away, there Is no cure, but there is effective treatment, it tends to be lifelong.

Thank you to this site for allowing me to express my views.  I will do my best not to bring up this controversial subject again.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

Thanks so much dog person, keep it simple, perfect advice👍

Edited by Account Deleted

Dog person I respect your own opinion, I just don’t agree with your argument that skeptvet is more knowledgeable than a world class researcher that has many grants, support and funding for her research  and is known and respected throughout the veterinary world and universities for her break through in many new ways of treating disease. The huge rate of cancer in our companion animals needs people Dr Dodds and Dr Karen Becker to continue their new way of trying to look at diet, over vaccinations, to try to stop this terrible disease from taking our animals away from us at a way to early time.🤭

PS, allergies can go away. I am living proof.

This is only my thoughts on this matter and I will not continue to comment on this thread as I have stated what works and is important to me for the well being of my dogs.

Guest dog person

17 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

Dog person I respect your own opinion, I just don’t agree with your argument that skeptvet is more knowledgeable than a world class researcher that has many grants, support and funding for her research  and is known and respected throughout the veterinary world and universities for her break through in many new ways of treating disease. The huge rate of cancer in our companion animals needs people Dr Dodds and Dr Karen Becker to continue their new way of trying to look at diet, over vaccinations, to try to stop this terrible disease from taking our animals away from us at a way to early time.🤭

PS, allergies can go away. I am living proof.

This is only my thoughts on this matter and I will not continue to comment on this thread as I have stated what works and is important to me for the well being of my dogs.

Both of the vets mentioned are homeopathic.    Homeopathic views differ greatly from traditional medicine.

I have no interest in anything either one of them has to say.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

I just took Otis to the vet because his poop was still orange and soft and a little mucousy maybe one little hard piece was there so they’re going to analyze it and they have him on METRONIDAZOLE 250 mg for seven days so hopefully this will do the trick I’ll keep you posted.

Guest dog person

I am glad you are working closely with your vet.    What did your vet advise about diet?  Is the orange because of the pumpkin?

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

They are going to do a fecal float first, I probably won’t find out until tomorrow. But I did ask the vet tech and I still have him on chicken and rice and fage greek yogurt.  In fact I mixed his pill in his food and sat there while he ate it all. I don’t know when I am supposed to put him on regular food,  when he calls me I will ask him. He is on wellness diet no grain, not sure if he wants me to change the dog food he’s been on that since he’s been a puppy, that’s with the breeder had them on but the puppy kind. I am hoping it is something he ate he’s been having this since last Wed off and on.  But when he went orange, soft mucus, one little brown stool I had it that’s why I called I wasn’t waiting till tomorrow. I just don’t know how long if it was something he ate would last a week or so, this is the first time I’ve ever gone through this with him.   If it still shows nothing I don’t know what I’m gonna do again hopefully it’s just something he ate.  Thanks for everything!

Account Deleted

I am just hoping he doesn’t have giarda?  I have just been reading about it if he does I guess he’s on the right medicine pray for me please! 

Guest dog person
43 minutes ago, Otis's Mom said:

I am just hoping he doesn’t have giarda?  I have just been reading about it if he does I guess he’s on the right medicine pray for me please! 

Hopefully you will get some answers tomorrow.